The NDIS is being introduced in stages, because it’s a big change and it is important to get it right and make it sustainable. Existing service users and new participants will enter the NDIS progressively.
In Queensland, the NDIS will be rolled out geographically. People will move to the NDIS at different times depending on where they live.
The access checklist on the NDIS website provides more information on access requirements.
What can I do to prepare?
Participants in the NDIS early transition in Queensland will be contacted from early 2016.
Before then, you can prepare by:
- Thinking about your life now and into the future.
- Identifying your strengths, interests, networks, opportunities and challenges.
- Considering your current supports including your informal, mainstream and disability supports.
- Collecting your disability information, this may include existing reports and other information to support a NDIS access request.
- Creating words or pictures about your daily life and goals.
The Queensland Government and the NDIA are delivering a range of information and activities to help people with disability, their families and carers, service providers and the community to get ready for the NDIS. You can find out more about upcoming events on their website.
Visit their website
Events and activities to prepare for the NDIS will be held in Townsville, Charters Towers and Palm Island.
Participating in a Queensland NDIS Participant Readiness workshop or activity is a great way to prepare for the NDIS. Find out more at https://www.qld.gov.au/disability/adults/ndis
1800 800 110* 8am to 5pm (AEST) Monday to Friday
For people with hearing or speech loss TTY 1800 555 677
Speak and listen 1800 555 727
For people who need help with English TIS 131 450
Subscribe to the Queensland NDIS update e-blast www.communities.qld.gov.au/ndis
*1800 calls from fixed lines are free. Calls from mobiles may be charged.